Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Pirates of the Redang Island



I know a lot have been written about this island, but I think any amount of words will never do justice to describe its beauty.

Mak cakap cantik...
Actually the first time I heard about this island, is when my mother in law came back from her holiday there, with Huzir (yati's bro). She said in her own words "Tempat paling cantik sekali dalam dunia", and she showed us a picture of her snorkelling underwater in her baju kurung.

From that moment I was curious... Is it really the most beautiful place on earth. Well after spending 3 days there, I must declare, that it is certainly the most beautiful place I have ever seen. If I put Rantau Abang (Awang) at no.1, I think I have to place it at down to no.6, because spot 1 to 5 is definitely Pulau Redang.

Yang mana lagi power?
Last year's Pulau Kapas tour, was like a preview of this island. Kapas is like a smaller version of Redang. Prior to going, I thought Redang is gonna be like Kapas... but now I know comparing both is like comparing Gwyneth Paltrow to Pamela Anderson. Both beautiful but the latter is more well-endowed than the other one. (ok sorry for this comparison, but I'm a guy ok).

Yo Ho a Pirates life for me...
What was most pleasant to see was everyone enjoying themselves. Everyone could not wait to be in the water, no one was dry! Everyone was GAME!!! And like I mentioned in my earlier post, when I saw Kak Long and Kak Minah trying out the snorkelling gear immediately, and going in... the whole scene literally blew my mind!!! They ROCK!!!!

Underwater prank...
I had a lot of memorable moments in the island, and one of them was at the Taman Marine. I played a prank by swimming behind my sisters and my wife, and pinching their legs... of course when I did this, they thought that they're bitten by belut or sea creatures (or molested)... and seeing their legs "terkapai-kapai" underwater bila kena cubit... hahaha... was most hilarious for me.

Actually, while doing this, I pinched a makcik from another group who I thought was Kak Idah... and she got so shocked that she swallowed some sea water, because I heard her gargle loudly. I didn't tell anyone about this, but needless to say, she was my last "victim". (note to self... no more underwater pranks from now on)

Ikan Lohan
Then, for those who didn't get the "Rohana" bit... actually when we reached Trengganu Bus Station, a guy with a poster came to us. The poster read "Rehana Group", but somehow, from KT to Merang to Redang and back, we keep hearing the tour people refering and calling for us "Rohana group!... Rohana group!...", and I kid you not, at one point I even heard it became "LoHANA! Lohana!...".hahaha

The sea beneath my wings...
Snorkelling is really like flying, and at this island is really like a dream. The underwater scenes of reefs and fishes is simply divine. You feel like flying over a painting, so rich and alive with colours everywhere. Whats strikes me the most, is really the colours. The last day snorkelling, while searching for sharks, is the most awe-inspiring view of the underwater world. Its really hard to describe with words, and I really wished that I had a waterproof video camera to capture the scene.

Sun, Sand and Sea have always been the motto at Ylo inda House. And Redang manage to deliver all 3 magnificently. For me, I would face daily challenges of the mundane working life with the thought that my heart is left in a chest buried in the beach at Pulau Redang, like Davy Jones.

No comments: