Friday, May 30, 2008

XBOX - the ultimate media machine


3X says "For today's lesson, uncle would like to tell you more about this piece of technology, that I find to be one of the most useful piece of appliance for your home, and doesn't cost much. Its the XBOX , and not those new 360 types, those are crap. I'm talking about the original XBOX games console.

So why do I classify this as one of the most useful tech, while there are a lot of other new and latest games consoles out there. For one simple reason - you can turn it into an ultimate media player for your home. You see, out of the box, the Xbox is just another games console - you slip in an Xbox DVD game, and you start playing, that's all. But once you do some modification to it, it turns into something else.

The keyword here is, modding it. Some people hardmodded it (which you send to 'some shop' for it to be installed with a chip - could set you back at $80 - $150), and there are some, like me who soft-mod it myself, using a PC and hotswapping the hard disk to install linux.

Ok so what do you do after that? Here's the good stuff - XBMC.
Read here on how to do it
Here's what you can do with it
Very useful scripts that turn it into a living room computer
here are just some of the links, there are lots out there, just google it

Other than playing Xbox games, I streamed my video collections to the Xbox, and XBMC played it perfectly, never a glitched during playback everytime. I changed the hard disk to 160gb, and it's more than enough to store the games, movies, songs, pics locally, and bring it to the hotels, and plug it to the hotel's TV. You can streamed youtube, comedy central, football channel, apple trailers, any media from the internet to it. Read more about XBMC http://xbmc.org/.

You can get a second hand Xbox at cash convertor for just $99, and I even bought the dvd remote at just $8. Trust me, no other console, no matter how latest and new and expensive they are, that can do this.

No comments: