Monday, October 20, 2008

I'm not Mat Rock, I'm Mat Metal

3X says "Today's lesson is on Heavy Metal. I grew up listening to Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slayer, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Kreator, Destruction, Anthrax, Megadeth, Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Dark Angel, Sepultura, Exodus, Testament..... and when I was a teenager, every single night I dreamt of playing Raining Blood by Slayer, in a concert. I am not a Mat Rock.... I'm a Mat Metal.

The songs I listen to are not ROCK , these are Heavy Metal. The difference is like night and day. Let me show you the difference.

Rock is : Kiss, Motley Crue, Van Halen, ACDC, Poison, Cinderella, Twisted Sisters, Quiet Riot, Ratt, Saxon, Rush, Vixen, Scorpion, Def Leppard, Aerosmiths, White Lion, Whitesnake, Guns & Roses.... and I hate all their songs, and I DO NOT listen to these type of songs, in fact I hate Rock genres, i rather listen to High School Musical (really). Rock bands tend to look and dress like drag queens, and their songs are usually about 'loving Rock and Roll', girls and making love, and in every album they produce they'll be several love song - for sure.

Metal bands tend to play more heavy riffs, and contrary to beliefs, their songs are not all about devil worshipping, but their songs do have destructive themes, - like killing, deaths, destruction, war - nothing about love, its mostly about the evil that man do. But whatever it is, for me the lyrics of the songs is not what I'm into when listening to these music. It is the RIFFS - the guitar riffs, that is what I'm addicted to. The distortion sound of the guitar, playing in unison and harmonics. When I listen to a great riff, I can feel my head really swell up.



Well if you dare to give it a try, listen to this classic metal song, its Creeping Death from Metallica. To you it may be noise, stupid and just plain rubbish, but to me its ranks up there beside the feeling of ecstacy, its an epic symphony. I've listened to this about a thousand times in my life, and not once I get bored of it. Incidentally, name me any one of Metallica songs, I can sing for you the whole song, all their lyrics are embedded to my brain (inspired to write this post, because Metallica has just come out with new album - Death Magnetic, and listening to it right now).

No comments: