Tuesday, November 18, 2008

What's in a name...

3X says "'Rizal' that's the name I was given by arwah mak. Originally it was supposed to be 'Budiman' (not sure whose idea it was, I think it was Abang Kadir, according to her). Then she heard the name 'Rizal' on the radio, while listening to a sandiwara, and I guess she like the name so much, and so I was given that name (pheww....nasib baik).

For my fourth one, I guess, I would be doing the same. 'Puteri' - the TV series about a girl living with friends, and her love life. I like the name 'Puteri' very much - signifies malay culture and tradition. Not so much the meaning - Princess, or meaning of royalty but more towards the meaning 'the daughter of'. Her full name would be Puteri bte Md Rizal, or Puteri Rizal (I like that very much).

When naming your child, I guess we have to factor in with regards to their future and their given name. Would it be difficult for them to carry it their whole life, would it be subjected to humiliation or would their friends make fun of their name. It wouldn't be fair just because we, the parents like it, and so, we assumed the rest of the world would accept it or like it.

Actually, Juliana and Iman do have a friend called Puteri, and I like the way they say it, when they mentioned her name.

So I guess Puteri it is if its a girl....

Kalau lelaki... hmmm.... maybe Budiman ???

No comments: