Saturday, December 13, 2008

iPhone part 2

After having my iPhone for nearly 2 months, I officially declare that it is a good device. Normally I don't recommend new IT stuffs, like upgrading to a faster Intel processors, or more memory, or anything Apple, heck I even tell you to use Xbox, and forget about Xbox360 or PS3. But this is different, the iPhone is really a mini computer, very customizable and 'tinkerable'.

I must admit the first time when I got it, I hate it so much. I even thought of sending it back (seriously I did). Why... because I was so used to my flexible Dell Axim PDA WM5 that does video, and have lots and lots of programs for free, whereas the iPhone relies solely on iTunes, and that means its gonna cost money to get it, and the programs are limited. Another reason, is the phone functions are somewhat limited, seriously you can't forward SMS, how stupid is that. And even though it has a camera, you can't use it to take videos.

But that's all before I knew about 'Jailbreak'..... And after it's jailbroken, suddenly it became like a computer..... and more. Let me brief you through my iphone's home now: the (jb) ones is the programs you can install only if you jailbreak your iphone.
First row:
Boss Prefs (jb): With this you can turn off everything, 3G and Edge, which is important, because you can get billed unnecessarily for using 3G and Edge. And cellular data is expensive... serious!!! around 50cents per megabyte.
Camera: the standard issue program for taking pictures.
Video Recorder (jb): this is not standard issue, you need to jailbreak to get this program. This is video recording from the camera (320x240) to quicktime movie file, very good!
Second row:
Photos, Calculator, Notes, Contacts : standard issue programs
Third Row:
iPod and App Store: both standard issue programs
AppShare (jb) : this is how I get my 'programs' (notice its in quotes), I will kiss the programer for it, for without this my iPhone will be super boring.
Dtunes (jb) : another great program, basically you type any song title press Go, it will search for you and download for you right into your iPhone (superfast), and its yours.
Fourth row:
Air Sharing (jb) : transfer files to the iPhone using WIFI.
MXTube (jb) : I will definetly kiss the programmer for this too. I used it so often, basically it will search for Youtubes videos and download it to your iPhone, and you can view it anytime.
Orblive (jb) : This one will stream videos from your PC hard disk to your iPhone, and it works very well, no frame drop at all, video and audios sync perfectly.
Radio (jb) : This will stream radio channels from around the world to your iPhone.
Bottom row :
BiteSMS (jb) : use this instead of the standard SMS program, because this will do forwarding SMS and landscape keyboard typing. Works great!

This is only from my 1st home, and I have a total of 5 homes. And 2 homes are full of games. The games are OpenGL, which is good for 3D. The graphics are way better than a Nintendo DS, and as clear as a PSP. RealSoccer and Asphalt4 looks great. Besides games, I can play guitar and drums too, sounds exactly like the real thing.
Some other (jb) worth to mention are : Cydia, Winterboard (customise home), Blogpress (post to blogger), Mplayer (play movies). RDP (remote to my PC), and lots more.

The iPhone is not for everybody actually, if you just want a phone, don't get this, but if you are a tinkering type like me, and wants a small computer plus phone, then its for you.

No comments: