Saturday, December 20, 2008

Solving the Rubik's Cube



The Rubik's cube... the most frustrating puzzle that has ever been invented. I'm sure all of us have tried to solve it, and got frustrated. Sure most of us can solve only 1 side of the cube, but never for all 6 sides.

So I got into researching, and began playing with it. And I discovered, just like life, solving the cube, has to be planned. You need to solve it in stages, and see where the next piece will go, and just like life itself, every move have a 'cause and effect'. We think that we solve one solution, unknowingly, that move will cause something else to change.

One of my top 'things-to-do' in life, such as learning to drive, starting a family, learn to speak japanese and patois (yes I find jamaica fascinating)... solving the cube is one of them. Now after practising and studying it constantly, I can do it around 3 minutes. It takes a lot of memory power and logic. In the video you can see my method is solving it in layers, and that's the only way I know how. Also the video is 3 times the normal speed, so I did not do it that fast.

It does get addictive and I can spent hours mixing it up and solving it back again and again (the wife threatens to throw it away, as she says I'm obsessed with it). I just find it so satisfying when I see all the colours lines up. So if you like to learn how to solve it, come see me and I'll teach you... but be prepared to get frustrated in the learning process, but just like in life, never give up and practice makes perfect.

No comments: