Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Long Distance Driving

Some Long Distance Driving Tips (especially for new drivers, or not seasoned long distance drivers) :

1- Of course, check car before any long trips, since all of you have new cars, this only applies to me...hehehe
2- Wear pants with lotsa space, applies to drivers, because after driving 2 to 4 hrs, some places can get rather nasty when cramped for too long
3- If your car have children, make sure theres plastic bags on standby for any spontaneous vomits
4- For new drivers especially, long distance driving can make you feel very sleepy, this is caused by "highway hypnotic effect", so try not to focused your eyes in the middle of the road, try to look left and right whenever possible
5- And also for new drivers, you may think that the journey like never ending, long stretch of road ahead, you may feel impatient or even claustrophobic.... when this happens relax and listen to music or talk to the passengers
6- Do not challenge with fast moving vehicles, let them pass if they're tailgating you, they're crazy drivers
7- Malaysian buses, are not like our SBS buses, they will overtake you at very high speed, so keep your hands firmly to the steering wheel, because when they pass you, you can feel a slight push from the side

I remember my first long-distance drive... to Melaka, I thought Ayer hitam was far already, so when the first journey to Melaka, it felt like eternity to reach there. Then when I got braver, I drove up to Port Dickson - Seremban - KL, not by the NS highway, but by the small road, and when I reached KLIA the first time, it felt like such an accomplishment. Seeing the KLIA tower from a distance, I felt like I travelled half-way across the galaxy, the feeling was empowering. And when I reached KLCC, I thought man "I have done what no man has done before!".... as if. Soon the adrenalin rush make me drove, with 3 children in the back, 10 hours of driving non-stop to Penang.....man that was crazy! I couldn't feel my butt and legs after that. Luckily my children are used to it, like my mother-in-law says, they are "growing-up" in the car.

Now, going to KL doesn't have the same effect as before. Driving to KL is like.... well, a normal drive to Geylang, no more adrenalin rush.... but instead, I do get peace of mind. Its something about the long road ahead that gives me a calming effect. Here, is no fun driving, every 10 metres you stop at a traffic light, this country is so full of traffic lights, I think that for every baby that is born, a traffic light is planted here.

So drive safe everybody, especially if you're not used to long distance... Relax, enjoy the ride and sing along the way...

No comments: